Tuesday, January 25, 2011

NFB: Highrise - 360° Interactive


 Before I write the essay, I would like to introduce this website that I've used, "Highrise". The website is introducing some people who live in various locations like Chicago, Johannesburg, Montreal, Havana, Prague, Tainan, Toronto, Amsterdam, Istanbul. And there are more countries that are introduced in this website. On the website it is talking about various people's life, tragedy or situations they've got. And you can slowly get fall into some various stories that it have comparing yourself and them.



Highrise Gallery
 The character that I've got is Donna in Chicago. After I read about her story I felt so sorry about her. She has suffered from the public-housing project "Cabrini-Green" The project has been under redevelopment for more than 10 years since 1990s. The project was one of the most notorious Chicago Housing Authority projects. Its gang violence was reported internationally.

 As the project has been continued, tons of dusts from the demolishing which can give some bad influence to the people around the area. I was so surprised that she has endured such a tragedy for more than 10 years. The dusts from the project can even occur some bad diseases like cancer. I felt so sorry about that and I  think I'm so lucky that I donot have to suffer from such a dust with extreme noise that invade my life a lot.

 Also as the buildings are demolishing one by one, her moemories and recollections are demolishing too. She has been live in the apartment for her whole life but after the apartment gone, she didn't know what to do. Because the apartment was her whole "life". It was not just a apartment but a container that filled with all of her memories and events. After I read this story, I wholly sympathize with her as I have a similar experience with her : My family moved to another apartment, leaving an apartment that I had lived for more than 7 years. For me, 7 years is a very long time as I have lived only 14 years. Therefore I have many memories and recollections in the apartment. It was tough for me to leave the apartment and eventually I started to cry with sorrowness about my memories in the apartment. Still I miss my old apartment.

 I think there are some many difference and similarities between me and Donna. As I have not suffered from dust and noise from demolishing old buildings but I can sympathize with her in the aspect of memories and recollections that she has in her demolished old building.

I thought that situation that Donna has is very similar with the situation of some Koreans who are suffered from government's redevelopment policy. Some people in Korea who live in poor areas are suffered from the redevelopment policy from the government. They have to be expelled from their house with little indemnity. The indemnity is so small that they can't buy another house for live and eventually they become homeless. Donna's situation is very similar with this as she is suffered from the redevelopment policy from Chicago government named "Cabrini-Green".

No comments:

Post a Comment